[lug] cable modem network topology

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jul 20 15:46:42 MDT 2002

Terry Branaman wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 18:23, D. Stimits wrote:
>
>>That reminds me, does anyone know if the AT&T cable comes with choices
>>on cable modems? If so, are there good/bad choices here? I assume
>>external is best, but I read in one FAQ already that at least one cable
>>modem is PNP set to require the o/s be PNP-aware. Now if the modem is
>>rented ($2/month), I wonder how they feel about running a utility to set
>>it to non-PNP-aware.
>>

> When I signed up, the rent was more like $10/month or higher, so I went
> out and bought a Toshiba cable modem. I just looked for a modem that has
> the certification that they require (as listed on their web site). It is
> external, and has a 10-base T port, so it plugs in to the NIC in my
> firewall machine, which is using Linux. I just had to set up networking
> to use their DHCP server, since they won't assign static IP addresses.

I'm looking more closely at their advertisements, and comparing to what
the guy told me on the phone. It looks like you are right about this,
and maybe it is even as high as $15/month charge. There is mention that
you are allowed to purchase your modem either directly from AT&T, or
else buy it elsewhere. I am thinking of looking around to see what
stores have, if any are available. Do any of the local retail stores
actually sell cable modems? I would think it is a product available only
online, but I kind of wanted to look at the boxes. I don't imagine many
people in Boulder use cable modems, since DSL is so popular there. But
by the time you include the cost of the phone line itself, the cable
modem seems far cheaper. I am beginning to like the idea of a bridge (or
backup idea from Sean, proxy ARP) on cable modem better and better (to
tell the truth, I kind of have fun setting up this sort of thing, so
long as there is no schedule that says I have to work 24/7 to meet a
deadline). My guess for local retailers that sell cable modems would be
CompUSA, but almost nobody else (Circuit City?). I will shop online, but
if anyone knows of stores that have such products in stock where I can
walk in and look at the box, give me a shout.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com