[lug] cable modem network topology

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Jul 21 01:58:43 MDT 2002

Mr Viggy wrote:
> Dude, it sounds to me like all you really need is a simple bridge. Can't
> you set a bridge up to allow clients on one side to request IP addys
> from the other side?

I could, but one of the machines is an unprotected/out-of-date windows
98 machine, the other is a windows 2000 machine. It's bad enough just
connected for short periods, but with long term connects? The 98 machine
would be attacking everything inside within a short time. I don't trust
the windows machines, even when they are maintained. Add to this one
final twist, that I want either a traffic shaping or class based
queueing (I'll experiment) so one IP gets low latency, and the other two
get reasonable web page downloads (compared to 26.4k on a 56k modem that
shouldn't be too hard for those...the low latency at the moment both of
the others start a big download is not so easy). So although a dedicated
appliance that does firewalling and bridging/routing would suffice, it
would still leave me unable to tune performance, at least in a low-cost
appliance (perhaps I am wrong there, but I have never heard of a low-end
  device that does class based queueing and traffic shaping). A simple
bridge would be functional, it would meet all of the basic requirements,
  but I don't think I would be satisfied with it in the long run. So
although I will look at such appliances (it would be nice to find just
what I want), I do not trust that I will find one, I will most likely
end up with a Linux box in the middle no matter what.

D. Stimits, stimits @ idcomm.com