[lug] Multiplexing Sound Device

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Jul 21 13:07:29 MDT 2002

The commercial drivers from OSS (www.opensound.com) used to be able to
allow multiple access to /dev/audio, for example ... if I remember
correctly ... on some sound cards.

They definitely have some features that the kernel and ALSA drivers
don't have -- as an example, turning off the automatic mix of LINE IN to
SPEAKER OUT that happens on older SoundBlaster cards with the kernel
drivers WITHOUT muting LINE IN... stuff like that.

Might be worth asking them -- if the driver can mix it all prior to
passing it to the card, you won't need sound server aware applications...

Nate, nate at natetech.com