[lug] OT: w3c validated FRAMESET/html

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Jul 21 17:41:13 MDT 2002

It seems that the validator.w3.org, when looking at frameset/html 4.0
loose/transitional DTD does not allow any notion of borders in FRAMESET,
and it is not possible to make a borderless frameset and have it also
validate. Individual frames have some control, but none of these are
capable of causing the edges between frames to disappear. I want this
because I have a seamless background pattern, and if I use a FRAMESET
with frameborder="0", then it works perfectly (one can't see where one
frame ends and another begins, except while scrolling a frame). I have
found no CSS attributes that can be applied to this either...apparently
html 4.0 transitional combined with frames means there *must* be a
border area between frames, and that turning off a border in the actual
frames means an ungly white empty line between frames. (all is via
mozilla 1.0 rc3)

Can anyone tell me if there is a means to create frames that touch each
other without any gaps between them, and still have it validate under
html 4.0 transitional? Stylesheets under CSS2 would be ideal.

D. Stimits, stimits @ idcomm.com