[lug] meaning of logwatch message

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 24 16:35:01 MDT 2002

  sgi_fam: A Silicon Graphics daemon that is an RPC server that tracks
changes to the filesystem

On default Redhat systems, it binds to the loopback interface only,
meaning that it cannot be remotely accessed (hence, from=0.0.0.0).

If desired, you should be able to disable it in /etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam
and then send SIGHUP to xinetd.

You can use 'netstat -pan' or 'lsof -i' to see a listing of inet
sockets (along with the process ID associated with each socket).

--

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |