[lug] DOS Support?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 25 14:52:21 MDT 2002

Your kernel probably already supports it (if it's stock Red Hat).  As
root, try 'mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos' where /dev/hda1 is the
FAT32 partition and /mnt/dos is an existing mount point.

If you don't have the proper kernel modules, you'll get an
"unsupported"-type error, in which case you'll need to compile the fat
and vfat modules via 'cd /usr/src/linux;make menuconfig ...'

Fred Robinson wrote:
> I want to be able to access my Windows DOS partition (FAT32) from Red Hat
> 7.2.  Can someone walk me through adding DOS support such that I can mount
> the DOS partitions on my dual boot machine?
>
> It's been a while, but if I recall you have to install an RPC for it and
> replace the kernel.
>
> Fred Robinson
> Operator, SIPFusion
>
> 558 Copperdale Ln.
> Golden, CO 80403
> fred.robinson at sipfusion.com
> office: 303.642.8061
> mobile: 720.272.5201

   - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
  |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
  |  Mailstop R/OM62. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |