[lug] DOS Support?

Anders Knudsen anders at theknudsens.net
Thu Jul 25 15:16:52 MDT 2002

At 02:45 PM 7/25/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I want to be able to access my Windows DOS partition (FAT32) from Red Hat
>7.2.  Can someone walk me through adding DOS support such that I can mount
>the DOS partitions on my dual boot machine?

Yep. RH 7.2 supports fat32 (vfat). Here is what I have in my /etc/fstab
file to mount my "windows" drive.

/dev/hda2               /mnt/local/win/C       vfat
uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=002 0 0
/dev/hda5               /mnt/local/win/E       vfat
uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=002 0 0

Then my windows drives auto mount at boot time, and/or I can type "mount
/mnt/local/win/E" to mount the E drive, etc.

My useraccount uid is "1000", this way I get rw access to the drives. Also
this assumes the paths in /mnt are created as above and that your windows
drives are /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda5

To find out where they are, just do "fdisk" on the drive (i.e., fdisk
/dev/hda). Then type 'p' to print out the partitions and see which is a
"windows" partition. 'q' to quit fdisk without saving!

gluck,
-anders.