[lug] Perl module install problem

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Fri Jul 26 00:00:39 MDT 2002

I'm trying to install the spamassassin perl module as a local (not
system-wide) module.  Running "make test" in the source dir gives an error
msg about not being able to locate a module Time::HiRes.  So I DL'd and
installed that module.  "make test" on it passes ok both when run as root
and under my user id.

However, "make test" for spamassassin only succeeds when I do it as root;
my user id is not able to find / see the HiRes module.  Owner of the
module is root, and I can't see any difference in the permissions for the
HiRes module than any of the other modules.  The HiRes module is installed
in

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/Time

My user id owns all the files in the spamassassin directory.  I've noticed
that there is a HiRes.so as well as HiRes.pm.  I assume that the .pm is
what gets called when spamassassin runs as a perl script and that perhaps
the .so is used for the spamd daemon.  My first thought was that the perl
equivalent of ldconfig was needed to "register" the module, or that @INC
didn't wasn't including the path to the module, but since root has no
problem, it would clearly seem to be a permissions issue, but I can't see
it.  I'm brand new to Perl, so this may be a very simple problem to
resolve, but I have no idea what to do.  Anyone out there have some input?

"perl -V" yields:

  Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
  Built under linux
  Compiled at Jan 19 2001 05:42:10
  @INC:
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i586-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
    .

The module is installed in

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/Time

and permissions are:

-r--r--r--    1 root     root         7435 Mar 15  1999 HiRes.pm

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net