[lug] Mac Hardware

Bill Wimsatt bwimsatt at coraccess.com
Fri Jul 26 12:58:23 MDT 2002

SuSE on Mac G3 works well (not sure of SuSE on current hardware). I know
this is not current hardware, but is a decent implementation. OS X is
ok, but a lot of projects have not ported to it.

To digress a touch -- I used to be an Apple engineer and had extensive
work with A/UX which was Unix System V with a Macintosh desktop. This
platform was phenomenal in the early 90's. Apple had more open
technologies at that time than almost any other company. We actually
took part in an Open Systems Olympics put on by the Office of the
Secretary of Defense and were one of three platforms that could even
compete. In fact, they had to remove some of the requirements to allow
IBM to compete (DEC dropped out, so did almost all the others)! We had
ODA (Open Document Architecture), CALS (Computer Aided Logistics
Software - an SGML project), SGML editing, X.400 Messaging, X.25, POSIX
(via A/UX) and a host of other technologies running. The Mac we used
actually was the communication gateway between IBM and HP for X.400 and
we were the only ODA platform.

Sorry, I am an Apple bigot at heart and just had to rant.

Regards,
Bill Wimsatt