[lug] current java package state

Michael Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Jul 26 14:59:10 MDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 16:42, John E. Koontz wrote:
> At 02:30 PM 7/26/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> >I'm still working on a system install (trying to make everything just the
> >way I want), and am at the Java install portion. I just noticed that
> >Mozilla 1 does not have Java enabled, and that it does not have it
> >available, apparently because there is no JRE on the system. Of the Java
> >packages out there, and desiring one which works well with threads/SMP,
> >mozilla, and most anything needing a JRE, which package is currently
> >recommended on Redhat? IBM? Blackdown.org? Other?
>
> For the Linux version, I'd try Sun, though it won't come as a package.

Sun ships a shell script that makes you agree to the license, then it
dumps out either a tarball or an rpm, depending on which on you
downloaded.  The laters Java 1.3 from Sun seems to work well.  The 1.4's
from both sun and IBM seem pretty good, too, but are not as well
suported by appliacations out there.  I'd go with Sun jre-1.3.1_04.

Michael