[lug] cheap network cards/quality

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jul 30 13:48:38 MDT 2002

Reading up some on cheap 10 MB/sec network cards, I believe most of the
comments were that tha NE2000 clones often work, but are unreliable due
to drivers that might on occasion hang during long/heavy use. I'm
looking for *cheap* 10 MB/sec (RJ45 connector) PCI nics (full duplex
capable), that are reliable. 3com was mentioned, 3c59x/3c90x were said
to be rock solid, provided the drivers used by the manufacturer were NOT
used (this'll probably use 2.4.18 RH, or a 2.4.19 rc3). CompUSA, Office
Max, Circuit City, or any of the local stores are the probably purchase
location. Can anyone here give recommendations on 3com and NE2000
clones, as to reliability? I'm mainly interested in 10 Mbit/sec, but 100
Mbit/sec if it is reliable might be worth the difference.

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com