[lug] cheap network cards/quality

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jul 30 20:21:08 MDT 2002

bof wrote:
> D. Stimits wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for *cheap* 10 MB/sec (RJ45 connector) PCI nics (full
>> duplex capable), that are reliable.
>

> Although it's not exactly what you were asking, I've had good luck with
> Netgear FA 310 series and Linksys LNE100TX cards, which are 10/100. In
> Compusa, they run about 20 - 25 dollars. You'll be hard pressed to find
> something cheaper than that. The LNE100TX is very much a standard card
> and works under every version of Linux I've tried, as well as FreeBSD.
>
> BOF

I'm writing these down, I will probably go look in the stores in person
tomorrow. Unfortunately, the web sites for the stores tend to be a bit
skimpy on information. One thing I like about the Circuit City site is
that it mentions o/s requirements, and shows linux on most of them as
compatible (though a footnote mentions there is no official support).

An interesting side-effect of my search, I notice a card mentioning
needing a PCI slot "version 2.1" or newer. Can anyone think of a way to
find the PCI bus revision number? One machine that this would go in is
an old P166, from the days when the MMX option was "advanced" and new
(though this isn't really all that old, I think in computer years
converted to human years that is something like a century :)

Also, does anyone have any particular models/brands within the
inexpensive 10/100 NIC category that should be avoided? I recall some
people mention problems with some of them during BLUG meetings, though
at the time I didn't think I'd be shopping for NIC's.

Also, there was a mention of stranded versus solid core cable, and the
problem with mixing connectors. Assuming the proper connector is used,
is there a techical advantage to either solid core or stranded (all
would be RJ45)?

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com