[lug] Unrecognized devices -- do I need to worry about them?

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Tue Jul 30 20:42:42 MDT 2002

> Invariably,
> they are various bridge devices from the motherboard. For example, in my most
> recent install on a ThinkPad T20, I have the following "? Other Devices":
> - Xircom Unknown
> - Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA
> - Intel Corporation X2371AB PIIX4 ACPI

I'm pretty sure that these are the "controllers" for the PCI buses
They appear in the device list since they're addressible by the
CPU.  I would leave them alone unless you're writing kernel drivers
for PCI cards for some reason.

> Under the comments for each of the above, it get the following message
> (using the ISA device as an example):
> "This device hasn't been identified by HardDrake, please send
> `/proc/bus/*' files and this device ID `80867110' to:
> harddrake at mandrakesoft.com"

I know that 8086 is the major device ID for Intel PCI controllers.
(Duh, I wonder why :-)  The 7110 identifies the specific chip.

Bear