[lug] More cable modem product Q's

mikeslugs at attbi.com mikeslugs at attbi.com
Wed Jul 31 16:13:06 MDT 2002

I don't know much about using a Linux box as a router,
other than using the mandrake connection sharing
wizard.  As for these single-box router/4-port switch
jobberdoohickies, I like them for their ease of use.
They usually set up quite easily and some actually come
with very advanced features.  I have one that I use with
my attbi connection that works great (aside from the
occasional mandatory reset) withn four computers
connected with it.  The bandwith is plenty for my uses
(simultaneous downloads of linux distros, music, etc...
all done while playing online shooters).  Mine has a
DHCP server, but of course it works with statically
configured devices just as well.  As for phone
service... no comment.  Not to scream "BROADBAND OR DIE"
as I'm sure some people feel.  But if you're playing
realtime online games and want to enjoy them, there is
no way around high-speed Internet access (unless you
want to create your own network (which could be fun by
the way)).  Imagine the possibilities...