[lug] Advice

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jul 31 16:53:40 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 16:53, Carl Ribbing wrote:

> My son is going to the School of Mines in Golden.
> He will be living in a house off campus. There will be seven roommates
that want to setup a network for the house. They are Windoz users (XP)
and have found a Pentium 366 donated to them for a server. They just
wired the house with Cat5.  They were talking about a Windoz2000 server.
I thought they should utilize a Linux server, and learning something
new.  I told them that I subscribe to this LUG mailing list and that
they could get some ideas or recommendations for setting up a Linux
server and hub to complete the network. (When you had your install fest
they weren't ready to get setup yet.)  My son has setup a dual boot
workstation but between the two of us we do not have much experience
with Linux. Will your usergroup be having another install fest soon or
some advice/ books that are available to help them with this endeavor?

Hi Carl,

What kind of server do they want?  A web-server, file-server,
print-server, and/or something else?  I've set up all of the above and
am willing to help them.

Also, there is a linux-mines email list (linux at mines.edu) where they can
go for help:

  https://maillistmgr.mines.edu/cgi-bin/maillistmgr/maillist.cgi

We have in the past organized intallfests in the Green Center here on
campus.  If theres interest, we could easily schedule another at the
start of the semester.

Ed

==

Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Emails:      ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URL:         http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |  Phone:       303-273-3483
Golden, CO  80401          |  Fax:         303-273-3311
Key fingerprint = 5BDE 4DA1 66BE 4F7B BC17  3A0C 932B 7266 1E76 F123