[lug] MAC addresses, multiple IP on a single NIC, DHCP

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Aug 1 11:08:01 MDT 2002

I'm curious about something. If I have a single NIC on a machine, and it
is set up for multiple IP addresses (one Internet routeable, the other
non-Internet routeable for talking only to local machines), then it
seems that hardware somewhere will get confused. If I use this basic
topology:

  CABLE_MODEM (DHCP issues to each machine)

       |<- (invisible bridge/firewall here)

8_PORT_SWITCH

       |-Machine1
       |-Machine2
       |-MachineN

...and if each machine has 1 NIC with 2 IP addresses, such that the
non-Internet routeable is used to talk between machines (and thus avoid
going through the cable modem), but each machine is DHCP assigned via
the cable modem service, is it possible for the system to function
correctly? I ask this mainly because the switch must be talking to
machines via MAC address, and I wonder what happens when a NIC responds
with two IP addresses...can the switch associate two IP's with one MAC
address (this is a reasonably nice Linksys 8-port switch)?

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com

PS/OT: Does anyone here know if Win2k and Win98 are capable of multiple
IP's on a NIC, where one is static/non-Internet-routable, and the other
is DHCP?