[lug] Remote/Local email server advice...

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Fri Aug 2 11:58:13 MDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 11:52:10AM -0600, Anders Knudsen wrote:
> My work office is a "remote" site, where we have a persistent IPSec
> tunnel to our "home" office. We connect to their exchange (blech) server
> through the tunnel. We want to set up our office here to suck everyones
> mail off the "home" server to an IMAP server locally, so that folks in
> our office can have their email stored locally -- on a server -- to
> allow mail access from any machine/platform.
>
> Why? Most folks here in my office have "dual boot" machines. Use Windows
> for documentation stuff, corporate type presentations (MS Office),
> email...Use Linux for "real" work, and email, etc. So want to be able to
> get access to our email regardless of which platform we're on.

One simple solution I have used in the past is to setup a
Linux server that grabs mail by the method of your choice,
then you always use SSH to get into that system and read
your mail using mutt/pine/elm/whatever.  If you want a GUI
email reader, use web-based email, in which case I use
IMP/Horde (look at http://www.horde.org).

In a situation like this where you are downloading mail from
a corporate central mail server, the easiest method to get
mail is probably a system-wide fetchmail if you don't have
the control to have their mail routed directly to your
server via SMTP.

--David