[lug] ethernet duplex options, mysteries

Mr Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Fri Aug 2 14:57:33 MDT 2002

Of course you can ping 10.0.0.4 and 10.0.0.5, with no cables attached.
What's happening is that in the TCP/IP stack for each card is the IP
addy for those cards.  The ping command is actually being responded to
from the stack, *not* the network itself.  If you need to ping test the
cards, you're going to need a third machine somewhere else on the
network that you can ping.  You can ping your local machine anytime;
even if it's not connected to the network.  What this proves is that the
TCP/IP stack for that interface is up and running.

As for having both interfaces on the same network, I'm not sure what
that will acomplish (other than maybe twice as fast network speeds).  I
don't think you can remove that default route; your system is probably
seeing that both cards are on the same network, and using the last card
it finds as the default (pure speculation on my part).

As for mystery #2, you got me...  All my cards are 100/full...

Viggy