[lug] backup install

dan radom dan at radom.org
Sun Aug 4 19:02:39 MDT 2002

i've found that i don't really need full partition backups.  if something drastic happens i would rather reinstall the OS and copy selected configuration files and mail spools and all that stuff doem backup.  i backup al lmy hosts using a tar to an nfs autofs mount.  i run it on linux and netbsd systems, and it works like a charm.  i redirect stderr to /dev/null so i don't hear it complain about files that aren't there, as all the systems have different setups and functions.  same script runs on all hosts.  here's the script.  this gives me 3 weeks of backup to restore from, which i periodically burn to cd.

dan

#!/bin/sh
# dan at radom.org  |  04.01.2001
#
export PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/pkg/sbin
date=`date '+%m-%d'`
hostname=`hostname -s`
files="\
        /etc \
        /var \
        /home \
        /usr/TSS \
        /usr/local/etc \
        /usr/pkg/etc \
        /usr/tftpboot/SMS* \
        /usr/local/etc \
        /usr/local/apache \
        /usr/local/bin/rc.firewall \
        /usr/local/netsaint \
        /usr/local/share \
        /usr/local/lib/php.ini \
        /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf/pluto \
        /usr/pkg/etc \
        /var/spool/mail \
        /usr/src/linux/.config \
        /storage/apache \
        /storage/pgsql \
        /root \
"

rm -f `find /mnt/autofs/backup/ -atime +21 -type f`
tar zcfp /mnt/autofs/backup/$hostname-$date.tar.gz $files