[lug] Samba shares without authentication?

Brian Jarrett celttechie at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 6 08:54:39 MDT 2002

I'm trying to find an answer to my problem quickly, so I'm posting this
message while I'm searching the web for an answer.

I have need of a SMB share that doesn't require any sort of authentication.  I
believe Win98 does this by default and I need my linux server to do it now.
I've tried setting the share to public, writable, and browsable and I've got
the default allow set for my class c addresses.  I've used testparm to make
sure other machines on the network would be allowed and they are.  I'm still
not having any success in connecting to the share from a Win2k server.  (I'm
also going to try it from a few other machines, now that I think about it
more.)

To be really specific, I have a situation where the smb packet has a blank
"Account" parameter and I want Samba to allow the connection regardless of the
account or password given.