[lug] Samba shares without authentication?

j davis davis_compz at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 6 13:01:41 MDT 2002

in new samba just got edit the line in smb.conf that says use encryped
passwd
then win2k should see everything....then i think i have had windoz rember my
smbpasswd  with win2k...so win2k could connect without spitting out pass
actually...i thought new smb had encrypted pass on by default...also
maybe check to see what your security level is set to....and i know
your smbserver and win2k box are in the same workgroup as specified in
smb.conf..right? Also if wn2k is still suking after all this maybe you can
use smbclient and cygwin to do what you need.

jd

>From: rm at fabula.de
>To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
>Subject: Re: [lug] Samba shares without authentication?
>Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:14:21 +0200
>
>On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 06:10:33PM +0200, rm at fabula.de wrote:
>[...]
> > This is old and outated and will open up major security holes in
>    outdated - i mean. The keyboard on my laptop is giving up (and
>    too expensive to replace :-(
>
>     Ralf
>Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug

thanks,
jd

jd at taproot.bz
http://www.taproot.bz