[lug] Hilarious net cable market

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Aug 6 22:16:36 MDT 2002

I just discovered that if one wants to buy network cable for cat 5e,
that most of the retail stores are charging at least a 500% markup.
Whereas Saunders sells it for $0.25/foot, and a few others around
$0.20/foot, that a regular electrical supply shop (retail, but sells to
contractors) is selling the same thing for less than $0.06/foot. The
only problem is they sell 1000 feet minimum (the size of a box). This
isn't so bad when you realize that to wire many houses you would want at
least 150 feet, and it costs the same to buy that much at the retail
stores as it does to buy 1000 feet at the electrical supply shop.
Related hardware like connectors is about 1/3 of the price of the lower
priced retail shops, I am amazed at how much profit is being made on
network cables and related supplies like connectors and face plates.

If I pick up a 1000 foot roll, and use a couple hundred feet of it
(solid core fastcat 5e), would anyone here be interested in buying the
remainder at cost? Probably in a week or so.

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com