[lug] rpm build error: file listed twice

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Aug 6 22:55:27 MDT 2002

I am trying to create rpm packages from a tarball that has the spec file
in it, on a RH 7.3 machine. The rpm format for this version is not
publicly available, the spec file is a remnant of the prior version of
this software (which is publicly available in rpm format). The only
apparent change for the spec file is the version number. The prior
version can be turned into rpm format via the rpm -ta package.tar.gz,
while this one fails, claiming a duplicate file:

RPM build errors:
     File listed twice: /usr/sbin/upsd

...in no way can I find where this is listed twice. I saw a couple of
old google search items on this for other packages, but no answer. Has
anyone here seen this error before, or have an idea of how to figure out
why it thinks (falsely?) that the file is listed twice? This rpm does
have subprojects, one for an UPS client, one for an UPS daemon, and the
last for a cgi web monitor of the UPS server. Perhaps subprojects have
something in common that it mistakes for being listed twice in a single
project (but I have done a case insensitive rgrep with the path listed,
and cannot find out how it is listed twice; an rgrep for the duplicate
file itself, did not seem to reveal duplications that I could see).

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com