[lug] Cloning hard disks?

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 7 10:39:54 MDT 2002

Last year I gave up on using tape drives and CD-RW's for data backup.
Instead I purchased a second 40GB hard drive, identical to the first, and
used Norton Ghost to do disk cloning.  It worked fine so long as I was using
only FAT32 and ext2 partitions, but now that I've upgraded both computers to
RH 7.3 (using ext3 partitions) I can't use Norton Ghost.  My computer hangs
every time.  I checked the Symantec website, and it says that my version of
Ghost (2001) only supports Red Hat up to ver 6.2, and the latest version of
Ghost only supports Red Hat up to ver 7.2.  I've also tried (unsuccessfully)
to clone my drive with Data Lifeguard Tools.

So my question is:
What other disk-cloning software is out there, that can support ext3
filesystems, or can just do a bit-by-bit / sector-by-sector copy of my
drive, regardless of the partitions; and is affordable (preferably free)?

Also, what's currently your favorite partition-management software?

Thanks,

John Dollison
Boulder, CO 80303

Your computer can help fight Cancer and Alzheimer's! Visit
www.intel.com/cure/

.