[lug] DVD too slow... do I need a major upgrade?

Jeff Howell tremere at lanminds.net
Thu Aug 8 15:00:21 MDT 2002

I think 99% of the problem is your CPU.

K6's are REALLY bad at doing any multimedia. MTRR support is essential for
playing DVDs. A dedicated DVD decoder may help a bit, but it'll be cheaper
and far more effective to get a decent processor. The K6 line from AMD is
an ugly stepchild I'm sure AMD would like to forget they made those.

Jeff
 Be kind to your system administrators...
 For they are a cranky lot and control the root password.