[lug] pump versus dhcp package; ports

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Aug 9 17:13:47 MDT 2002

Both pump and the rpm package dhcp offer a dhcp client, but the man page
for the dhcp rpm say the pump package is simpler to configure if only a
client is needed. Any thoughts, sample config files, etc, for either?

Also, which ports are required to be open? I am seeing port 68 BOOTPC,
is this part of DHCP? (FYI, this is AT&T cable modem)

Running pump, I am seeing ifconfig come up with 12.x.x.x address, but no
dns, and no ability to ping/traceroute out of the interface.

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com