[lug] Cat 5e cable color codes

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Aug 10 13:55:30 MDT 2002

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, D. Stimits said:

> The particular model number is not shown on that page, but the color
> scheme matches it exactly. Suggestions on importance of following some
> scheme (other than just being consistent) would be useful.

I don't think that it's enough to merely be consistent.  There are two
different (IEEE?) standards which are used, and "A" and a "B".  AFAIK
these utilize the pairings in the cable to maximize signal to noise ratio,
and should be observed.  Probably more important for 100 mbit than 10 mbit
systems.

I really don't know what the differences are between the two schemes in
terms of when one should choose one over the other, and would also be
interested to read anything about it.

And a question of my own: does one have to consider hub / switch / NIC
internal wiring specs in choosing between the two schemes?

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net