[lug] Cat 5e cable color codes

Mr Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Sat Aug 10 14:50:05 MDT 2002

I don't know what the diff is between the two schemes, but I do know
that sceme A is a telephone industry standard.  I wired all my jacks
according to scheme A.

Basically, pait #1 is blue-wht/blue; #2 is org-wht/org; #3 is
grn-wht/grn and #4 is brn-wht/brn

If you look closely at an RJ45 TP network jack, you'll notice that only
pairs one and two are used.  They are also seperated out in the jack,
why I don't know (i.e. used pins are 1, 2, 3, and 6 I think).

FYI, in my house, since only two pairs are necessary for a connection,
and since none of my runs are too long, I actually broke out the other
two pairs in a couple of my wall plates (i.e. only ONE 8 CAT5e wire runs
to the plate; but I have TWO RJ45 jacks in the plate).

On that connector you have, follow wiring scheme A (I did).  The solid
color boxes refer to the solid color wires; the white boxes with the
color stripe refer to the striped wires.

Viggy