[lug] Cat 5e cable color codes

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Aug 10 15:12:06 MDT 2002

Big Note: This is for wiring inside the walls of the building, expecting
a "straight-through" cable, so far as I can tell.

More info, see this diagram:
  http://www.battlefieldlinux.com/images/NK5EMWH.jpg

That is a poor man's gimp drawing of the perspective of the connector
involved. The 8 parallel contacts marked "Front" are the female RJ45,
the face view has been rotated out 90 degrees so it can be seen at the
same time as the "Back" can be seen. The "Back" is a 4x2 set of
self-cutting and self-locking wire contacts...the wires get stuffed into
those contacts. Normal and expected wires are shown in red (internal to
the one-piece plastic connector), while the yellow and orange show where
two wires cross internally. I would like to use the standards of:
http://www.networktechinc.com/standard.html
http://www.networktechinc.com/images/368a-b.gif

(specifically, the "A" standard that people are mentioning)

However, I do not know which pin in the RJ45 is considered which pin
number. And with the crossing wire at one point, I am not sure if maybe
this is some strange connector. Now if I adjust for this crossing of two
wires, I will *probably* be doing the right thing, but I hate to waste
connectors, and worse, I hate to kill off network cards. (I really wish
the connector used the same color code as the cable).

I am about to go read the link Paule Bille is giving, it might offer
more detail.

Anyone with suggestions on how to treat that crossing of wires inside
the connector? I believe I should arrange the wires to have their final
effect (making allowance for the internal wire flipping) be the "A"
standard from:
http://www.networktechinc.com/images/368a-b.gif

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com