[lug] pump.conf config, AT&T

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Aug 11 00:55:39 MDT 2002

Warren Sanders wrote:
> Well I'm not using pump but may have found my problem with 'man dhcpcd'
> and the -H; possibly set by default in the binary.

So far it seems that AT&T did not activate something. I have had the
same results on 3 machines, one with win 98, another win2k, and the
third Redhat 7.3. All of them get a routable IP address, as well as what
seems like a legitimate netmask. All of them, when using a browser, are
able to look up named addresses and convert them to dotted-decimal
format. None of them can ping or go to/past the gateway.

One thing I noticed that looks odd, and need to find out about (I will
have to call AT&T tomorrow, but I have doubts that they can help on a
Sunday...oops, that is today, I am up late), is the broadcast address. I
think it might be doing some strange windows-ism. The basic address is
12.x.x.x, netmas 255.255.255.0. Gateway is in the proper range for the
netmask. However, I have seen a broadcast of 255.255.255.255 (can't
remember where i saw that). I would think that it would be something
else. As far as I can tell from prior phone calls and web site
information, this should be ordinary DHCP over the ethernet, without any
form of PPPoE. Perhaps the most irritating thing right now is that when
adding both a win2k machine and a linux machine to see if the win2k can
reach the linux one on the internal LAN (with cable modem removed and
static IP's assigned to NICs), I cannot get the stupid win2k machine to
allow me to use the internal LAN even though it is up and pings, so on.
It makes dialing the modem line mandatory before it will allow the web
browser to even attempt to browse over the LAN. No matter what I do, it
will not acknowledge that a LAN with a proper netmask and static address
can be used until the modem is dialed. I have a feeling that the only
way it is going to work right is to physically remove the modem first
and modem settings. The whole idea of netmask seems to be lost on win2k,
being there more or less just for decoration.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com