[lug] SSH notes for meeting August 8, 2002

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Aug 11 11:25:07 MDT 2002

Rob Judd wrote:
> My slides for the demo on using keys with SSH may be found at
> http://www.math.du.edu/~rjudd/cryptography/notes/
>
> One of the things I mentioned was how to get keys working with X.  The
> point is to run eval `ssh-agent` in the parent process of the window
> manager.  Traditionally this was done by putting eval `ssh-agent` in your
> .xsession file, however that file is no longer used by desktops like KDE
> and Gnome.  The two fixes I suggested were to edit the startkde script
> (/usr/bin) or the Xsession script (in the xdm directory) to put in that
> line.  Unfortunately that requires root access or a friendly sys-admin.
> Kevin mentioned that RedHat have put that in already for 7.3.
>
> So my question is: are there any user-definable scripts that KDE and Gnome
> run where you could put this line as a regular user?  I would like to add
> that information to my slides.
>
> Thanks a lot, Rob

I don't know about the install locations for all things on all
distributions, but there is (at least on RH) /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/,
with a startup purpose similar to the system init scripts. If you place
an executable file or shell script in that directory, I believe it will
go through each name it finds with a "for each file found" type script.
I do not know if it will do all that you want or not, but I added
"xhost.xinitrc" there to run the proper xhost commands for my setup. I
think this works regardless of whether a display manager is used or not
(e.g., xdm, kdm, gdm). You'll also see other directories that you can
poke around that have some useful properties.

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com