[lug] SSH notes for meeting August 8, 2002

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Aug 11 17:33:44 MDT 2002

Rob Judd wrote:
>>>My slides for the demo on using keys with SSH may be found at
>>>http://www.math.du.edu/~rjudd/cryptography/notes/
>>

> [ snip ]
>

>>>So my question is: are there any user-definable scripts that KDE and Gnome
>>>run where you could put this line as a regular user?  I would like to add
>>>that information to my slides.
>>
>>I don't know about the install locations for all things on all
>>distributions, but there is (at least on RH) /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/,
>>with a startup purpose similar to the system init scripts. If you place
>>an executable file or shell script in that directory, I believe it will
>>go through each name it finds with a "for each file found" type script.
>>I do not know if it will do all that you want or not, but I added
>>"xhost.xinitrc" there to run the proper xhost commands for my setup. I
>>think this works regardless of whether a display manager is used or not
>>(e.g., xdm, kdm, gdm). You'll also see other directories that you can
>>poke around that have some useful properties.
>

> This is the same, albeit in a different location, as editing startkde,
> Xsession, or whatever.  I would like a solution that doesn't require root
> privileges.

Most means require being logged in already to X11 before they can be run
by non-root, or else being root to set it up during boot. I suspect this
is just "most ways", and that there is a way that is useful. For
example, there might be an environment variable, but I do not know
offhand what it would be. Or, if there is something that can be passed
to either X11 or window manager, you can run startx with arguments, and
then a --, followed by more arguments. I'm not sure which way around it
is, but the arguments before the "--" should go to either the window
manager or to X11, and the arguments after the "--" go to the opposite.
Should you find that arguments to either X11 or the window manager do
what you want, then those arguments can be used on the command line with
startx.

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com