[lug] testing for straight versus cross-over patch cables?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Aug 11 17:39:09 MDT 2002

I have one short ethernet cable, I am not positive if it is cross-over
or if it is straight-through. Is there a quick way to test it? Or is it
just a case of plug it in and try? Basically, I am using it on the cable
modem end, which is not up yet, so I cannot compare that it works or
fails this way (though it could certainly throw a rather large wrench in
the gears of figuring it out). I do have a multimeter available.

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com