[lug] testing for straight versus cross-over patch cables?

Mr Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Mon Aug 12 08:09:19 MDT 2002

Just one comment:

Nate Duehr wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 21:00, j davis wrote:
>

>>also....i know everyone know this but...
>>generally if the cable is yellow its a crossover cable and
>>sometimes the outside shielding  will say "crossover" really small too.
>>all ot the above only applies to pre-manufactured cables.
>

> Don't take this the wrong way but...
>
> Bzzzt.  Wrong.
>
> You can order cables of whatever pin-out you like in whatever color you
> like from multiple vendors.
>
> Yellow is definitely NOT any kind of standard on what pin-out the
> connectors are configured as.  (I have at least four yellow
> straight-through, commercially-manufactured cables in my basement right
> now... one of which is definitely beyond the normal working length for
> Ethernet too... gotta love cable manufacturers... they'll build
> anything, even if it will break your network...)

Why on earth would cable manufactures care about your network??
Personally, I like that they will make and sell you any length you want.
  To me, that's good customer service!

PS.  They'll also make RG-59 and RG-6 cables as long as you want; even
though after 3000 feet, your video signal looks like crap!