[lug] another new gcc/g++ ABI?

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Mon Aug 12 18:10:51 MDT 2002

>>>>> ">" == D Stimits <stimits at idcomm.com> writes:

I've been out of town for a while.  I saw this note but no responses.

>> [ gcc 3.2 ]
>> I'm curious what people think of this, in particular, it mentions
>> complying with "the V3 multi-vendor standard":
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.2/changes.html

>> More of a curiosity than anything, is anyone familiar with that
>> standard, and how it might actually benefit things in the future?

It is well-documented and fully specified, something that I think the
previous g++ ABI was not.

Also, since it is multi-vendor, it means that you'll finally be able
to link code compiled with g++ against code compiled with other C++
compilers.  Assuming, that is, that everybody wrings the last few bugs
out of their implementations.

Tom