[lug] ssh and pubkey

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Aug 12 22:13:54 MDT 2002

j davis wrote:
> ok, i did all of that...when i tail -f /var/log/secure on the sshd server
> while i am trying to login using pubkey it says that
> pubkey auth and keyboard interactive has failed for root. i copied roots
> id_isa.pub and id_rsa.pub to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on the sshd
> server...
> here is my sshd config, sorry,...

> PrintMotd yes

I have noticed that some programs get confused when doing any form of
ssh transport or login, if the Motd is allowed. Further, some shells
seem to be confused or to confuse other ssh programs if an echo in the
init file for the shell sends out plain text messages such as "welcome".
Try turning off the PrintMotd, and if the login shells echo anything,
try commenting out the lines in the shell init files that do the echo.
(scp in particular seems to be confused by this at times, possibly gftp
under ssh modes)

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com