[lug] [OT] Automake question ...

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Aug 13 05:07:47 MDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 06:20:13PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Automake has always assumed that there is just one way to build a .so:
> use libtool.  You could simply use libtool with automake in the
> standard way, and let the *.la files, etc, be installed.  Things
> should still work; Apache ought to ignore the extra files.

> You can also hack things by doing something like:
>
>     mybindir = $(libdir)
>     mybin_PROGRAMS = libfoo.so
>     libfoo_so_SOURCES = ...
>     AM_CFLAGS = -fPIC
>
> ... and whatever other magic you find you need (probably some
> link-time stuff).  Of course, once you try to make this portable
> you'll be reinventing libtool.  There may be other quirks with this
> approach.

Thanks, that seems to do the work. Just a question of understanding:
where does the 'mybin' primary come from? I searched the documentation
and god ol' Google but only found another posting by you. I tried to
use 'mod_guile_so_PROGRAMS =' instead but that doesn't work. Do i under-
stand this right: with your solution i just treat the module as a binary?
If so, what's the difference between:
 mybin_PROGRAMS = mod_guile.so
and
 bin_PROGRAMS = mod_guile.so

(and is there a way to have the module installed with perms 644 instead
of the 744 for binaries).

 Thanks a lot

    Ralf