[lug] securing DHCP

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Aug 13 16:05:34 MDT 2002

It looks like DHCP, as used by AT&T cable modems, might need both ports
67 and 68, UDP and TCP, available. I am on the local network, and seeing
  (prior to completed cable modem install, the modem is there, but not
all parts of it have been activated by AT&T yet) DHCP broadcasts from
source 0.0.0.0:68 to 255.255.255.255:67. This might just be a stupid
windows-ism frmo the win2k machine that is sitting on the net, or it
might be from the AT&T cable modem. Regardless of source, does anyone
know if the AT&T cable or DSL modems allow blocking of all sources
except perhaps one DHCP server address? Or am I going to have to leave
it open in the firewall for source 0.0.0.0 and destination
255.255.255.255? I had thought this would be something like a
nameserver, where I could add a known DHCP server address, and not leave
it open to 0.0.0.0 broadcasts. Then again, 0.0.0.0 is probably not
routable, and it probably can be guaranteed to come from the cable modem
service. Does anyone have any general advice on ports and firewalling
under DHCP, when there will be different windows and different linux
machines on the net?

D. Stimits, stimits AT idcomm.com