[lug] wi-fi

Brian Jarrett celttechie at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 13 16:10:11 MDT 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:15:44 +0000 j davis <davis_compz at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a customer who has 2 buildings about 400
> feet away from each
> other and there are no obstructions in
> between....So i would like to try
> to use wi-fi to get internet access to the
> other buliding..both buildings
> first point of accsess is a redhat
> firewall...Could someone recommend a good
> name brand for equipment...i.e. roof mount
> transmitter and reciver..and a
> good
> how to page.
>
> thanks,
> jd
>
> jd at taproot.bz
> http://www.taproot.bz

Cisco bought out Aironet, but they have quite a few different antennas and
access points available.
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/44/jump/wireless.shtml

The other nice thing is Cisco has proprietary methods for securing the
wireless connection.  If you go with another solution (or maybe even on top of
what Cisco has) I would highly recommend setting up a subnet between the two
antennas and running a secure tunnel across the wireless subnet.  The most
basic way for these devices to work is as a network bridge between the two
lans, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Brian