[lug] somewhat-OT: virus scanners for Linux

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Aug 16 16:10:08 MDT 2002

Ed Hill wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm being e-mail bombed (about 1 per minute) by an old friend on the
> East Coast (who I'm sure is not doing it on purpose) and I was wondering
> if someone could perhaps help me diagnose the problem.
>
> I've google-d and there are numerous commercial virus scanners.  Thats
> fine, but I really don't have much money to spend on this problem.  Can
> someone please recommend a Free or Open Source program that can help me
> identify the mal-ware thats causing this DoS?
>
> Alternatively, would someone be willing to try to identify the source
> given a verbatim copy of one or more of the emails?  I'll *gladly* buy
> you a drink at the next meeting...
>
> thanks,
> Ed

What is your goal? Are you trying to recognize emails sent by him which
contain a virus so that you can filter it? Or are you looking for a
linux filter solution that he can install at his end? I'm not sure I
could be all that helpful, but if you were to forward one of the emails
to me (I don't mind, I use linux for email, I see windows virii all the
time), I might be able to do a search on parts of it and find out which
virus it is.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com