[lug] A Wireless Installfest

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Sat Aug 17 07:26:52 MDT 2002

Chris Riddoch wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm organizing the next BLUG Installfest, target date: Saturday,
> Sept. 14.
>
> Turns out there's a football game in the stadium on the CU campus that
> day.[1] If we wanted to do it on the CU campus, Sunday the 15th would
> be better - I somehow doubt the Women's Soccer game vs. Mississippi
> will gather the same size crowds as the football game.  If we wait
> until Sept. 28, parking will almost certainly be even easier.
>
> Although the CU campus has good power and networking facilities
> (though it may take some creativity to evade the rules on paying
> through the nose for bandwidth,) parking is going to be difficult
> regardless of sporting events.  The biggest issue with the last
> installfest was the tremendous pain of bringing machines to and from
> the loading dock at the engineering center.  Since BLUG has some
> status a student group on campus, I can use classrooms for free, but
> the campus does has its disadvantages.
>
> Please help me look for better locations!
>
> In the process of looking for good locations, I've found that one of
> Boulder's library branches has a decent-sized conference room, very
> close parking, and power. The only thing that's missing is networking.
> And they won't charge me an arm and a leg to do it. This particular
> library branch is the George Reynolds branch - near Broadway, across
> Table Mesa from the King Soopers.

Chris,

I don't think the BLUG Installfests necessarily need to be in Boulder.  If
so, I could suggest the Front Range Community College / Westminster Library
at 112th between Sheridan and Federal.  Last I knew, their systems in the
Library were run by a Linux sysadmin.  Assuming he's still there, you can
probably get network connectivity from him, though I don't know how much.

I didn't want to send this to the list, because you might think it's not
suitable.  But, the BLUG serves a lot more people than just Boulder.

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at unix.sh