[lug] passing config parameters to autoconf during .src.rpm rebuild

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Aug 17 22:49:18 MDT 2002

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 07:26:35PM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
>My rpms, by contrast, are configured by configure.  These type of RPMs
>annoy Rob Riggs ;-).  Hi Rob!

They also annoy Sean, and I say for good reason.  It sounds like you're
doing something that at least makes the resulting SRPM duplicate the values
you entered.  However, an SRPM isn't generated by a --rebuild...

In my RPMs, I set the user-replacable parts at the top, so the build can
easily be customized for a few things.  You can also define things from the
command-line by telling the command-line to evaluate "%define xflags
--with-user=ups", for example, then:

   ./configure %{xflags}

I really don't like this though, because the resulting SRPM, if you do an
"rpm --rebuild" on it won't produce the same output.  Therefore, you have
to remember what options you used to build the code last time, and are kind
of circumventing one of the benefits that RPM gives you: reproducability.

Sean
--
 I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas.  I'm frightened
 of the old ones.  -- John Cage