[lug] Qmail rcpthosts woes

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Sun Aug 18 15:26:11 MDT 2002

I used to have a working qmail setup on my local LAN. It's gotten broken somehow and I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm having the problem that all my outgoing mail is being rejected by "that host is not in my rcpthosts" message. But I *think* I've followed all the steps.

1. My var/qmail/control/rcpthosts file is empty.
2. I am using tcpserver so I set up the relaying permissions as follows

   echo '192.168.100.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""' > /etc/tcp.smtp
   tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.temp < /etc/tcp.smtp

3. I am using xinet so /etc/xinetd.d/smtp looks like this

service smtp
{
        instances       = 20
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = qmaild
#        server          = /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
        server        =   /var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
        server_args   =   /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd -x/etc/tcp.smptp.cdb
}

4. I restart xinetd and qmail.

5. When I go to do the TEST.receive, I get the message that the host is not in rcpthosts when I enter rcpt <deckm at cleansoft.net>

If I add myself to rcpthosts, it all goes fine. But obviously I can't add every host. Can anyone spot my mistake?

-Mike

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.