[lug] Re: [CLUE-Tech] How secure is a Linksys BEFSR41 with these ports open

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Thu Aug 15 21:16:47 MDT 2002

<-----SNIP----->

> I would prefer that my system firewall would be completely invisible to
> ping requests --- there's no need for any open ports since I don't offer
> any services to the outside world.

I understand this to be a "standalone" unit, separate apart from the rest
of your LAN at home.  That said, if you are not offering any services to
the outside world, then you shouldn't be NAT'ing anything from those ports
to another box.  Thus, I can't see any resulting threat from having those
ports open on your Linksys.

I suppose someone could DoS you by flooding one of those ports with requests.
But, I don't see any risk for actual "intrusion".

Perhaps someone else can confirm my thoughts.
--
Cheerio!

Randy