[lug] Qmail rcpthosts woes

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Aug 19 12:12:59 MDT 2002

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Deck <deckm at cleansoft.com> writes:

Michael> At 11:23 AM 8/19/2002, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> I would remove/disable the xinetd entry and run tcpserver manually:
>>
>> tcpserver -DRUvX -c 50 -l <yourhostname> -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb 0
>> smtp qmail-smtpd
>>
>> That should do the trick. I usually use 'supervise' to run the
>> tcpserver to make sure it's always running, but if you just want it
>> to work now, the above should work. ;)

Michael> Kevin, thanks. I did that and so far the logs look good (I
Michael> haven't seen the message yet). Two concerns.

Michael> 1. I already have an entry in /service pointing to
Michael> /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd. Does this still need to be

ah, if you are using supervise you need that. Do you have something
like:

SV:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/svscan-start /service
SX:S016:wait:/usr/bin/svscan-stopall /service

in your /etc/inittab?

In that case you should be able to just do:

svc-start /service/qmail-smtpd

and supervise will start it.
See the supervise package documentation for more info.

Michael> there? 2. If I don't want to mess with putting this under
Michael> supervise, should it then run at the end of rc.local? 3. If I

yeah, if you don't want to use supervise, rc.local will work.
The downside is that if it fails for some reason, nothing will restart
it.

Michael> did want to try my hand at setting it up under supervise,
Michael> where would you put the run file?

it sounds like it might already be setup.
Go check the docs for supervise. :)

Michael> -Mike

kevin