[lug] router in bridge mode

Jonathan Briggs zlynx at acm.org
Tue Aug 20 10:16:54 MDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 10:12, D. Stimits wrote:
> The bridge is like a piece of wire, nothing knows it is there. If you
> used it for communicating between two local machines, they would use the
> IP address assigned by the ISP. So MachineA going to MachineB would
> traverse the internal network, through the bridge, to the ISP, back to
> the bridge, through the internal net again, and to the other machine.

Try watching your network traffic using tcpdump. I think you will be
surprised.  The Linux bridge should be acting as a switch, detecting
that the MAC address of MachineA and MachineB are local and sending the
packets directly.  I don't believe it will send it all the way out to
the ISP.

That's how I believe it works, anyway.

--
Jonathan Briggs