[lug] apm/UPS

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Aug 20 13:25:35 MDT 2002

David Morris wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 11:53:07AM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>
>>I'm looking at an UPS for the Linux bridge and cable modem. Obviously,
>>cable modems do not have any "auto power down" feature (nor would the
>>modem need it, but not totally depleting a battery's power is good for
>>the life of the battery). In the case of the bridge machine, it is
>>older, and does not support having the o/s power itself down, it has a
>>good old-fashioned switch. However, in the case of the Linux machine, I
>>can probably rewrite some of the UPS scripts for apmd, so that it starts
>>out by changing the ext3 journal speed from 5 second intervals to 1
>>second intervals; and then if time goes far enough, either remount the
>>drives read-only, except for /var/, or else run init 0 to halt when
>>things get really close.
>

> I cannot speak for the batter depleation question, but just
> as an FYI on the above, a system that does not power-off
> upon shutdown is actually preferable if you are looking to
> maximize uptime.  So long as you have a UPS that talks to
> the OS (and that is a function of the OS and the UPS, not
> the system), you can get Linux to shut itself down.  Then,
> after the system has shut itself down, the power is still
> on.  This way, when power is restored, your system will
> power itself back on automatically, and it will be up and
> running without your intervention.

The machine involved is quite old, the power supply itself has nothing
but an ordinary switch on it, so it can init to a halt level, but it can
never turn itself off. By coincidence, this limitation becomes a feature.

> NOTE:  As I said at the top, the below is far beyond what I
> can say with any certainty.  Don't flame me if I am don't
> have a single fact straight, this is simply how I understand
> the situation....an understanding which could be completely
> wrong!
>
> Yes, this will depleat the battery....a UPS is, I believe,
> designed to account for this, and it does not significantly
> affect the battery.  Now, I could easily be assuming far too
> much intelligence on the part of UPS designers, but a
> properly designed recharchable battery / battery recharger
> system does not care if the batter gets fully depleted or
> not (in fact, it is a *good* thing to fully depleat the
> batter periodically to both verify runtime and protect
> battery performance....or at least, that is the way I
> understand it.).

I certainly hope the UPS has the intelligence to shut down before it
goes into deep-discharge, but I have no way of knowing (which is why I
worry about it). If the UPS is smart enough to not go into
deep-discharge, then all of this is ideal.

The following may be boring and irrelevant trivia, read at your own risk:

As far as battery life goes, the discharge-for-cycle-life only applies
to batteries where the chemical path for charge and discharge are not
reverse of each other. If you take a Ni-Cad type battery, the chemical
reaction during charge is quite different from the reaction in
discharge...the characteristic of cycle memory is applicable due to this
rather complicated reaction. On batteries with symmetric mirrors of
charge and discharge reactions, the cycling is not beneficial (lead-acid
batteries are this type of battery). I believe the gel-cell, chloride
cell, and many other "sealed" batteries, aside from Ni-Cad, are
symmetric in charge/discharge path. I have not read up on the Li-Ion, or
many of the laptop type batteries, I have no idea whether they have any
cycle memory. I am fairly certain though that the UPS battery is
symmetric, and does not have a cycle memory.

In the case of symmetric discharge/recharge reaction paths, any
intermediate chemical can be used to go in either direction; with a
non-symmetric reaction, the chemicals of an intermediate reaction may
not work to recharge, and fully discharging to obtain a new chemical
capable of charging might be necessary (and vice-versa). For reversible
chemical reactions, they often oxidize or reduce a metal plate or
physical structure, in essense turning it into a form of rust. That
rust, if it is too complete, chips off parts of the plates and then the
plate never reforms (deep discharge can do this in a single discharge).
Even if the plates do not chip away, it is not as easy to reach the core
of the plate as it is to reach the surface, and the core parts may be
harder to "repair by recharge" than the surface portions. If you ever
looked at electro-plating of silver or other metals, these reversible
chemical path batteries are essentially doing chemical plating during
charge, and rusting during discharge.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com