[lug] OT: RG6 television cable

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Aug 21 16:03:01 MDT 2002

I'm trying to improve the terrible state of television cables inside
this house, which was built prior to cable service even existing here.
Much of it is old RG59, with terrible connectors, and splitters all over
(in some cases the splitters are not rated to the needed 1 GHz of cable
channels). I would like to find an inexpensive source of RG6 cable, and
put in continuous non-spliced feeds wherever possible. The biggest
problem is of course cost. When I went to wire this house for ethernet,
I found a 1000 foot roll is only a bit over 5 cents/foot, and after
selling the unused portion, it ended up costing just a bit over 2
cents/foot, running a little under 500 feet total. The RG6 is more
expensive, and there are fewer places that would buy it back, so I think
a 1000 foot bundle is too much (I expect to use less than 200 feet, most
likely just a bit over 100 feet). Can anyone tell me where a good place
is to find RG6 cable, and quality connectors? Saunders is definitely out
of the list here, for prices.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com