[lug] overran / ...again

j davis davis_compz at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 18:22:57 MDT 2002

i have a full on linux lab at my house consisting of 5-8 computers
on a given day. All strictly for play. But i do have one box that i do
do non root requred stuff on like check mail and stuff...but this is
the box that i "nmap -O" from and tcpdump the and play with snort
and iptables on...all behind my real linux firewall that i logon to
just to read the logs and thats it.So maybe if someone could tell
me how to get roots $PATH when i su...thats proably my biggest beef.
i looked in the man for su like a year ago and couldnt find any
help on this.

root addict,
jd

>From: Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com>
>To: Boulder LUG <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
>Subject: Re: [lug] overran / ...again
>Date: 21 Aug 2002 17:53:54 -0600
>
>On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 17:44, j davis wrote:
> >
> > also..for my personal non-server computer i run as root...
> > i know i know please spare me the hand slapping.lol
> > anyway, is there any reason i could not make /root
> > its own partion and treat it like /home, never format it
> > even during a new install. do yall think the redhat installer
> > would care if i told it not to format /root.
>

>Hi jd,
>
>I don't mean to chide you, but what exactly are you doing that requires
>being root so much?
>
>I'll wager that it'll be easier for you, in the long run, to "kick your
>root habit" than to treat the symptoms.
>
>Ed
>
>--
>Edward H. Hill III, PhD
>Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
>Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
>Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
>Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311
>Join us on IRC: lug.boulder.co.us port=6667 channel=#colug

thanks,
jd

jd at taproot.bz
http://www.taproot.bz