[lug] Help Please with Individual User cgi-bins

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Thu Aug 22 18:25:48 MDT 2002

DankStreet wrote:
> Dear lug:
>
> Sorry to drop an unsolicited email on you but I was searching google on
> how to set up individual cgi-bins and saw your post at
> http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2000.12/msg00182.html.
>
> I am setting up a Unix-based lab at school and need to set up individual
> cgi-bins for students.  I am running RedHat 7.2 and have no problem
> running *.cgi and *.pl scripts from /var/www/cgi-bin but am having the
> same problems you were with individual cgi-bins.  Did you ever resolve
> your issue?  My setup for users is typical /home/*/public_html/cgi-bin.
> If you have a quick answer please let me know - I am going crazy over here.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Charles Maguire

I recall this, and never got it to work as I had wanted. It turned out
that suEXEC was the reason it couldn't work just as desired, apache has
to be compiled without it, or else suEXEC has to be disabled, before it
will allow indiscriminate home directory cgi-bin, in addition to the
public_html directory. After that, I never did finish, I did not want to
remove suEXEC. You might look into CgiWrap as a substitute. Or else
simply getting it working with suEXEC disabled until you find a better
solutions. I think that once this is done, probably it will allow
execute of cgi scripts in ~/public_html/cgi-bin/, though I'm not certain.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi.com